Thursday, August 11, 2005

Bible Study #9 - You can Talk to God

Prayer...

It's one of the most powerful tools that we have in the world, as Christians. Prayer is talking to God as a friend.

Ask and it will be given to you; Seek and you will find; Knock and the door will be opened to you. (Matthew 7:7)


Have any of your prayers been answered lately? Have you asked anything of God? Have you given thanks for all that you ahve recieved from God? Jesus makes it pretty clear that we will receive what we ask for as long as it is within God's plan for us. People see prayer as something to be done before we go to bed and in church on sabbath, but is this right? Why can't we pray whenever, where ever we want. How hard is it to give a silent prayer or thank-you to God as move through our day? I've found that these small prayers are the ones that get me through my day, and these small prayers seem to be the ones that are answered.

For example, and this is something so small:

I lost my mobile phone, it get to about 11 this morning and I havne't seen it for over 24 horus, I'm starting to panic, i rip apart my house, my car and my desk at school and every room that I've been in over the last 5 days... nothing... I panic and get pretty stressed about where it's going to be, in the midst of all this I stop, close my eyes and say in my head "God, please help me", 15 minutes later I find my mobile phone nestled in a tight little corner in my car, buzzing happily to itself because of all the missed calls. I mouth a grateful thank-you to God and keep going throughout my day.

Isn't that they way you would treat a close friend who you know will be there for you no matter what? You don't impose on them and babble to them every second of the day, instead there are periods of comfortable silence and you talk to them when you need too, when you really can't fix the problem yourself and you need the help to keep going.

You may ask anything in my name, and I will do it. (John 14:14)


What sort of things should you pray for? EVERYTHING, in my studies so far the biggest thing I've learnt is that Jesus gives all that he can for us, in fact, he gives everything for us. He gave his life so that we could be a part of something that we don't deserve! I think this is also something to pray for!

Things I pray for:
Good Health
Wisdom
My family
My friends
The ability to cope with my pain

Things I give thanks for:
Finally seeing and accepting Jesus Christ
Jesus' Sacrifice for me
The BIG things in my life
And the tiniest things in my life
And everything inbetween

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home